Russell Brand has released a video denying the “serious criminal allegations” he says will be made against him.
The comedian said he received letters from a television company and a newspaper containing a “series” of “aggressive attacks.”
The BBC has learned that a number of women will make serious allegations about Brand’s sexual behavior in Channel 4’s Dispatch program and a Sunday Times report expected to be broadcast and published this evening.
Brand said his relationships were “always consensual.”
In the video, posted on YouTube and X, officially known as Twitter, Brand said: “Amid this series of incredible attacks, there are some very serious allegations that I completely refute.
“These allegations relate to the time when I was working in the mainstream, when I was in newspapers all the time, when I was in films and, as I have written extensively in my books, very promiscuous.
“Now during that time of promiscuity, the relationships I had were always consensual.”
Brand said he believed he had been subjected to a “coordinated attack” and that he would look into the matter because it was “extremely serious.”
He did not mention the name of the television company or newspaper in his video.
The brand has hosted a number of radio and television programs for networks including Channel 4, MTV, Radio X and the BBC.
He began his career as a comedian in the early 2000s, but got his big break a few years later as host of Big Brother’s Big Mouth on E4.
After his profile came to prominence, Brand participated in Hollywood films such as Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get Him To The Greek, and Arthur.
. “Professional creator. Lifelong thinker. Reader. Beer buff. Troublemaker. Evil problem solver.”