Sunday, September 8, 2024
HomeTop NewsRussians in a "mousetrap"? Ukraine announced attacks on Pakmut

Russians in a “mousetrap”? Ukraine announced attacks on Pakmut

Date:

Related stories

NASA Inspector General Issues Scathing Report on SLS Delays

NASA's efforts to return humans to the moon have...

USA Swimming Replaces CEO Tim Hinchey, Team Manager Lindsey Mintenko

In the wake of an uninspiring performance at the...

How Google’s New Gemini Gems AI Experts Can Boost SEO

Google has announced a new feature for Gemini AI...

Ukraine’s F-16 fighter jet crashes – pilot dead

According to the military, a new F-16 fighter jet...

According to their own reports, Russian troops have captured the beleaguered city. But are they now threatened by encirclement? The Ukrainian army is said to be massing in the surrounding area.

Ukrainian soldiers drive a tank near Pakmut.Lipkos/AP

The Battle of Pakmut is the longest and bloodiest of the ongoing Russian aggression against Ukraine since February 2022. Although the Russians claimed to have captured the city over the weekend, a counter-offensive is apparently brewing in the surrounding area. According to the Ukrainian military, its own troops continue to advance near the attacked city. Are the invaders now under threat of encirclement?

“Especially in the last 24 hours, we advanced about 200 meters in some sectors,” Serhiy Cherevatyy, spokesman for the Eastern Command of the Military Group, told Ukrainian television on Sunday evening. The Ukrainian army has been advancing near the city for a week.

A few days ago, Ukrainian ground forces commander Oleksandr Chirskyj described Bagmut as a “mouse trap” for Russian troops. “After Bachmut, the Wagner mercenaries crawled like rats in a mousetrap,” the 57-year-old said during a visit to the frontline last Tuesday. Ukrainian troops have now succeeded in capturing the northern and southern parts of Pakmut.

Ukraine denies the fall of Bagmuth

Moscow announced on Saturday that it was recapturing the city, which had been almost completely destroyed after months of fierce fighting. Kiev, on the other hand, denies that Bagmuth fell. According to Serevaty, Ukrainian forces are stationed in some buildings and fortifications in the southwest of the city. Information on either side cannot be independently verified. The city was home to over 70,000 people. Only a few civilians remain there today.

See also  Did a German-Russian neo-Nazi raise the alarm in Putin?

The 3rd Assault Brigade of the Ukrainians stationed at Bagmut reported that they had advanced even 700 meters on a 1700 meter front. He later posted a video on Facebook of the captured Russian soldiers.

Information box image

Latest stories