Players of the Spanish women’s national team are in a new dilemma with the federation as the conflict intensifies



CNN

players for Spanish women’s national team They reiterated their refusal to play the next two matches without major changes at the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) – the latest development amid the fallout from former football coach Luis Rubiales’ unwanted kiss. La Roja Star Jennifer Hermoso.

Twenty players who previously signed a letter on Friday objecting to playing for the national team until major concerns are addressed have been named to new coach Montse Tommy’s 23-player roster.

toWho replaced the previous director Jorge Velda As part of a shake-up at the Spanish Federation following Spain’s Women’s World Cup win, players were selected for matches against Sweden and Switzerland on 22 and 26 September, despite the players expressing their “steadfast will not to be called up for justifiable reasons”. ”

In statements Posted on social media The players said on Monday:[We] We will examine the possible legal consequences to which the Spanish Football Federation has been subjected by being placed on the list for which we have requested not to be called up for reasons that have already been explained publicly and in more detail to the Spanish Football Federation, in order to take the best action. A decision for our future and our health.”

Despite repeatedly refusing to play for Spain until a fundamental change was made in the federation, many players did so The camp has been reportedincluding Athena del Castillo, Misa Rodriguez, Olga Carmona, and Teresa Abillera – the latter three being signatories to the statement issued on Friday.

When asked by reporters in Madrid on Tuesday on her way to the team hotel whether the players agreed with Tommy’s squad list, goalkeeper Rodriguez said: “No.”

The players’ statement came just hours after Tommy told reporters that she was in contact with the players and had made the necessary arrangements to address their concerns.

“The union has worked to be able to talk to the players,” she said. “I worked with them as well. We listened to them, we thought we were all part of this group, and the way is to communicate well.

Rodrigo Jimenez/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

Montse Toomey speaks at a press conference in Madrid on Monday.

When asked if any players had told her they did not want to be called up to play in the upcoming UEFA Women’s Nations League matches, Tommy replied that they had not.

while, Hermoso — who was not named in Toomey’s recall because the coaching staff wanted to “protect” her — issued a statement Monday saying “nothing has changed” within the union.

See also  Zion Williamson, New Orleans Pelicans agree to five-year cap extension that could be worth $231 million, agent says

“We have been looking for weeks, even months, for protection from the Spanish Football Federation that never came,” said Hermoso, who was not named in the 23-man squad for the upcoming matches.

“The people who are now asking us to trust them are the same people who today revealed the list of players who asked not to be called up.

“The players are certain that this is another divisive and manipulative strategy to intimidate us and threaten us with legal repercussions and economic sanctions. This is irrefutable evidence that shows that as of today, nothing has changed.

Two-time Ballon d’Or winner Alexia Putellas, who has been a consistent presence in player protests and statements, He told reporters on Tuesday at Barcelona’s El Prat Airport On her way to the team’s camp, she said the players were “bad — how else would we be?”

When asked about the coaching staff saying they wanted to “protect” Hermoso amid the storm of Rubiales’ unwanted kiss, Putellas responded: “[Protect] From what? If everything is fine, right?”

He speaks on network radio Cadena Sir Victor Francos, head of the Spanish government’s Supreme Sports Council, confirmed on Monday that players could face fines and penalties in accordance with the country’s sports law for not representing the national team after being called up.

“I hope the recall can be agreed upon [the players]”If they don’t show up, the government will do what it has to do, which is enforce the law, which is unfortunate for me, and I assure you, it pains me,” Francos said. I would never want to do what I had to do in that moment.

“But the law is the law, and sports law says what it says. International laws regarding national teams say what they say, but I am still confident that there may be a way to a solution.

“I’m telling you too, I have this feeling [RFEF has] “They conveyed to the government the problem they had, saying: ‘Okay, we will summon them and then the government will decide.’”

Francos said he was keen to meet the players later on Tuesday in Valencia, describing the current situation as “incomprehensible” and that the team members he spoke to appeared to be in “bad” condition.

You have removed a very negative impression in the worst way. I didn’t see anger, I didn’t see bad looks. I saw sadness and exhaustion and that’s why I decided to go help them.

“I have a feeling that some people who are in power [in RFEF] In this crisis she did not stop looking at the forest. They looked at the branch, but not at the forest. I couldn’t be more clear.

See also  2022 British Open Leader: Live coverage, Tiger Woods score, golf results today at Round 2 at St.

Francos added: “What cannot remain in the federation are behaviors that make players uncomfortable or intimidate.”

According to the Spanish Sports Code and Disciplinary Code of the Spanish Football Federation, players could receive a fine of between €3,006 ($3,213) and €30,051 ($32,125) and have their playing licenses suspended or confiscated for between two and five years, which could have implications for the players’ club careers as well as their international futures. . .

Francos also said he planned to speak with team members on Tuesday because “there is a point where the government has to step in and has an obligation.” On Tuesday, a CSD spokesperson confirmed to CNN that it was in talks with the players throughout the day.

Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Spain’s Minister of Culture and Sports, Mikel Isita, urged the Spanish Football Federation to resolve the dispute.

He added: “The Supreme Sports Council will personally participate in the search for a solution.”

“The Royal Spanish Football Federation has no right to deprive Spain of the women’s national team, especially after winning the World Cup.

“As such, we call on the federation to correct all the shortcomings of this anomalous lineup call-up, and to change its federal structures so that the federation can effectively be a space of security, competitiveness and professionalism to which players are entitled.” The Spanish citizen has the right to do so.”

Isetta also pledged to find a solution before imposing sanctions on the players.

Marty Melville/AFP/Getty Images

Alexia Putellas controls the ball against Japan during the Women’s World Cup.

In response to the ongoing dispute between the federation and the players, Men’s World Cup-winning goalkeeper Iker Casillas said books On X (formerly Twitter): “Everything they do gets worse at RFEF.”

The Spanish Footballers’ Association said in a statement that it was “deeply shocked” by the team’s announcement on Monday.

“It is incomprehensible that the institution, which has declared itself the last few weeks, and which hopes to usher in a new era of open and consensus dialogue, is once again showing such a significant lack of interest in women’s football and the recently declared world champions.” AFE said.

“From the AFE, we appeal to the Spanish Football Federation to stop its efforts to pressure players and take into account the reason for the lack of trust and support on behalf of many of the players called up.”

The Spanish women’s national team is scheduled to face Sweden and Switzerland in the Women’s Nations League on Friday and next Tuesday, respectively.

See also  Seattle Seahawks have released defensive captain Bobby Wagner, according to a source

Spanish players’ dissatisfaction with the federation dates back more than a year when 15 members of the women’s first team sent personally signed letters to the Spanish Football Federation saying they would no longer play for the national team unless there were sweeping changes made throughout the coaching staff.

Of the 15 players who signed the letters, only three were in Spain’s World Cup squad: Mariona Caldente, Aitana Bonmati and Una Battle. This trio has been included in Tommy’s lineup announced on Monday.

Despite those difficulties off the field, the young Spanish side had an impressive run at the Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, defeating England in the final to lift their first title.

This achievement was overshadowed by Rubiales’ actions during the medal ceremony and the fallout that followed, which culminated in the former football coach’s resignation as president of the Spanish Football Federation on September 11.

However, now that Villeda and Rubiales have left their positions, the Spanish Football Federation is hoping to start a new chapter in women’s football.

On Monday, before the team roster was announced, she issued a statement affirming her commitment to forcing changes in the organization.

“It is absolutely essential, in order to achieve these changes, to clarify both behaviors and actions that may have occurred, act as such professionally and fairly, and settle the relevant responsibilities in each case,” she said.

“It is clear that the federation, the community and the players are aligned with the same goal: renewal and the beginning of a new era in which football will be the biggest winner of the whole process.”

Thomas Cox/AFP via Getty Images

Luis Rubiales, the former president of the Spanish Football Federation, testified before the Spanish National Court on Friday.

On Friday, Rubiales testified before the Spanish National Court after the president of the court summoned him to assist in the court’s investigation into possible accusations of sexual assault and coercion against him.

The Spanish Public Prosecutor’s Office said Rubiales answered the questions of the judge and all parties and denied the accusations.

Later on Friday, the judge issued a restraining order for Rubales, prohibiting him from coming within 200 meters of Hermoso and ordering him not to communicate with her during the court’s investigation.

“The whole world could see that it was not agreed upon. “This is what we will show,” Hermoso’s lawyer, Carla Val, said after leaving the National Court in the capital, Madrid.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *