The GM-backed Andretti Formula 1 team will continue to prepare for a potential entry because it “strongly disagrees” with its refusal from its commercial rights holder.
Formula 1 announced on Wednesday that Andretti Formula Racing – which will be run under the Andretti Cadillac name – “should not be successful”, despite Andretti having previously received the go-ahead from the FIA.
Formula 1's detailed review of Andretti's bid raised several concerns, including regarding the team's potential competitiveness, its engine arrangement, and the value Andretti would bring to the championship.
Specifically, Formula 1 has raised concerns that Andretti wants to enter 2025 with a car designed to one set of rules while also designing a new car for completely different regulations in 2026 – which F1 said “gives us reason to question their understanding of the scope of the challenge involved.” on him “.
F1 also said Andretti, who has won in various categories including IndyCar and Formula E and is teaming up with an established sports car manufacturer, will face a challenge “that he has not faced in any other formula or field in which he has previously participated”. “You will not be a competitive participant” with short-term supplies of engines.
Although none of the specific points raised were addressed in Formula 1 in an expanded statement, Andretti Cadillac issued a response, saying it had reviewed the information and “strongly disagrees with its contents.”
“Andretti and Cadillac are two successful global motorsport organizations committed to putting a true American works team in Formula 1, competing alongside the best in the world,” the statement read.
“We are proud of the significant progress we have already made in developing a highly competitive car and power unit with an experienced team behind it, and our work continues at a rapid pace.”
Andretti had a model built to the current ruleset in a wind tunnel as part of the extensive work carried out in the hope it would be granted entry.
It has also appointed a large number of staff including former Renault man Nick Chester as technical director.
The fact that Andretti Cadillac will continue its work at a “fast pace” is a clear indication that it does not see the rejection of Formula One as the end of the matter.
It is widely believed that F1's decision will be appealed, although Andretti has not yet said whether he will actually take legal action.
One factor to take into account is that F1 has at least indicated that it would “look different” if Andretti applied to race in 2028 with a GM engine – a reference to GM's announcement last year that it would build its own power unit in F1. for this entry. .
However, that appeared to be conditional on Andretti Cadillac joining the grid as required for 2025, concluding a short-term engine deal with customers in the meantime.
“Food ninja. Friendly thinker. Explorer. Entrepreneur. Zombie junkie.